Today we are learning how to make giant bubbles with these easy to make giant bubble solution recipe and giant bubble wand. The bubble fun is gigantic for kids of all ages because it is surprisingly simple to make huge bubbles with just a few supplies for a really great time.
Making Giant Bubbles
Both use commonly available supplies, are easy to make and then provide hours of bubble blowing the biggest bubbles possible.
My kids love blowing bubbles, so we had to give this giant bubble mixture a try. The giant bubble wand was recreated from a bubble wand that we found at the toy store and the bubble solution recipe is one of our favorites.
How to Make Big Homemade Bubbles
Let’s start with the giant bubble wand! What makes this so effective is that there is a lot of surface area for the bubble solution to adhere to and the wind does the rest. I like that even though this item is giant when playing making massive bubbles, it takes up very little space in the playroom or garage.
Related: Make a smaller DIY bubble wand out of some straws or fashion a traditional bubble wand out of a pipe cleaner for small bubbles.
This article contains affiliate links.
DIY Giant Bubble Wand
PVC pipe can easily be found at your local home improvement store, hardware store or online. I love building toys out of PVC pipe because it is like a large building set to make your own homemade bubble wands and each kid can have their own bubble wands the way they like them!
Supplies Needed for Each Bubble Wand
Directions to Make Giant Bubble Wand for Bigger Bubbles
Slide the PVC connector onto the pipe and add the caps to each end. The caps will help keep the end of the dowel (your pvc pipe) solid.
Tie one end of the yarn to the top of the pipe, then string the washer onto the yarn and thread it through the connector.
Bring the yarn back to the top of the pipe and tie it in place to create a long triangle.
Sliding Bubble Wand Mechanism Makes the Giant Bubble Wand Work
The PVC connector will slide up to the top of the wand when placed in the bubble solution, then you can pull it down slowly to open the wand. Once a bubble has formed, slide the connector back to the top of the wand to release the bubble.
Now, let’s make our Giant Bubble Recipe!
Homemade Giant Bubbles Solution Recipe
There are a lot of good homemade bubble recipe ideas and we have tried a bunch of different recipes, but I like this one because it uses simple ingredients I already have at the house and it really does make the best bubbles that are strong bubbles with longer time before bubble pops and of course, BIG!
Supplies Needed for DIY Bubble Solution
Directions for Homemade Giant Bubble Recipe
Mix the ingredients for the soap bubbles together in a large bucket and allow to sit for at least an hour.
The longer it sits, the better. What an easy bubble solution to make!
Let’s Make Giant Bubbles!
Each child will dip their own bubble wand into a container of bubble solution, then slide the connector out to create a triangle. Watch the big bubbles form!
It is so much fun to see the kids with big bubble wands making their own giant bubbles. It was a really fun activity that the kids spent a long time in the backyard playing and creating tons of bubbles from the simple bubble recipe.
The better bubbles come in a little different shapes when created by the cotton string. Younger kids will need a little help with the coordination of making the large circle at first, but soon they will making great bubbles too! A small breeze is helpful, but this summer bucket list activity for best results is not a windy day idea!
- 1/2-inch PVC pipe cut 3 feet long
- 2 1/2-inch PVC caps
- 3/4-inch PVC connector
- You may want glue to secure the end caps.
- Slide the straight PVC pipe connector onto the long PVC pipe and add the caps to each end.
- Tie one end of the yarn to the top of the pipe and then string the washer onto the yarn and thread it through the straight connector.
- Bring the yarn back to the top of the pipe and tie it in place to create a long triangle with the washer pulling it down in the middle.
Best Giant Bubble Solution Recipe:
You will need…
Mix everything in a big bucket and let stand for an hour or more.
Grab your giant bubble wand and let’s make big bubbles!
How can I make big bubbles that don’t pop?
To make big bubbles that don’t pop, you will need a bubble solution that is made with a strong soap and a thickening agent such as glycerin, corn syrup or in the case of our homemade bubble solution, corn starch. The solution should be mixed according to the homemade bubble recipe and then allowed to sit for at least a few hours or overnight to allow the ingredients to fully combine and the solution to thicken.
Can you make giant bubbles with dish soap?
Dish soap can be the main ingredient to your homemade bubble solution to make big bubbles, but you will need a thickening agent to make sure the bubbles can get giant!
What makes bubbles big?
There are a few factors that allow bubbles to grow beyond your basic soap bubble size:
- Soap strength: Your dish soap strength is the biggest factor in allowing large bubble creation. A strong soap builds a stable film around the bubble making it last longer and be more burst-resistant.
- Thickening agent: Your bubble solution should have some sort of thickening agent to allow big bubble formation. Common thickening ingredients for homemade bubble solution include: glycerin, corn syrup or corn starch.
- Surface tension: The surface tension of your homemade bubble solution can affect the size of the bubbles. A higher surface tension allows a larger bubble because the film around that bubble is stronger.
- Blowing technique: To create big bubbles, try blowing slowly and steadily instead of hard and fast. Your bubble blowing technique can change the size of your bubbles!
We had so much fun making these giant bubbles and it was a great way to play outside together. My kids call the bubble solution fairy liquid!
Related: Make giant bubbles with a hula hoop
Favorite Products to Make Giant Bubbles
OK, so not everyone has the time or energy to make your own giant bubble wand and homemade bubble solution. No worries! We have you covered…and totally understand.
Here are some of our favorite ways to make giant bubbles that are not so DIY:
- The Wowmazing Giant Bubble Wands Kit has 4 pieces including a wand, big bubble concentrate and a tips & tricks booklet making it a great outdoor toy for kids of all ages.
- This Giant Bubble Wand & Mix works for 2 gallons of big bubble solution making it a super bubbles maker for kids & toddlers that makes gigantic bubbles.
- Try the OleOletOy Giant Bubble Wand Set which is a big bubble maker toy for kids and adults with bubble refill solution for girls, boys, toddlers and children to enjoy.
- Atlasonix Giant Bubbles Mix makes 7 gallons of big pure bubble solution for kids with non-toxic natural bubble concentrate for the largest bubbles making birthdays and outdoor family fun bigger.
More Bubble Fun from Kids Activities Blog
Making your own homemade bubble solution and blowing bubbles is one of our favorite outdoor activities. The enormous bubbles we made with the above recipe had such good results, we knew we needed to have more bubble fun…
Did your kids have fun making giant bubbles with the giant bubble wand and giant bubble solution recipe? How did the big bubbles go?